Sunday, April 7, 2013

When Jesus Wept

When Jesus Wept is the first book of the Jerusalem Chronicles by Bodie and Brock Thoene.  Bodie and Brock Thoene are best-selling authors of over 65 works of historical fiction and I have been privileged to read the Zion Covenant and The Zion Chronicles.  I really need to read the other series of books they have written as well but for some reason I just have not gotten to them.  However, when I found out I would be able to read and review the first book of the Jerusalem Chronicles, I could hardly wait for the book to arrive.  This couple is well known to research history thoroughly to provide accurate timelines and historical data in the stories they write.

The beginning of this book has me looking at the beginning of Jesus’ ministry in a new light.  I didn’t realize the strictness of the Roman rule and it definitely made me pay attention to the details as I read my Bible.  The Thoene’s introduce Lazarus and the first part is about Lazarus before he and his sisters met Jesus.  The whole account of Lazarus owning a vineyard and making wine was fascinating to me.  The story goes on to the Wedding of Cana.  Again, just interesting to see someone tell about this and give me different perspective on it.

The book is divided into 4 parts and tells different parts of Jesus' ministry from Lazarus' perspective.  The way the authors describe Mary was intriguing and again, gave me fresh perspective into her life and Martha's as well.  It is hard to review a fiction book without giving away the story line.  But I will say that I would recommend this book to anyone who has a mind for the creative and desires to see the Bible story come alive from another Christian perspective.

I received this book from Booksneeze, a blogger program from Thomas Nelson, in exchange for my book review.

No comments: